Thursday, December 31, 2009

Is ice cream helping a headache go away normal?

I've heard of ice cream -causing- a headache if you eat it too fast (by making the roof of your mouth too cold, and signaling to your brain that it needs to warm up), but what about the opposite?





When I get a bad headache, I eat ice cream. With each bite, I press it against the roof of my mouth first thing. After eating about three scoops, my head only has a dull ache, and it stays that way for a good 1/2 hour or so.





Is this normal? And either way, why does this work?Is ice cream helping a headache go away normal?
The above answer is correct. It is also possible if your headache is caused by low blood sugar, or sugar withdrawal, which can both cause headaches. If it is low blood sugar, when you eat sugary foods such as ice cream, your blood sugar rises (obviously) and the symptoms of hypoglycemia diminish. If it is sugar withdrawal, then satisfying your craving would alleviate symptoms. If it is just a once in a blue moon affect, and only happens with ice cream, it could be a placebo affect. If it is the latter then, no it is not normal.Is ice cream helping a headache go away normal?
An ';ice cream headache'; is actually caused by dilating the blood vessels in your head. I've never heard of it working in reverse, but I don't see why it couldn't. The dilated blood vessels could work in your benefit to reduce a headache as well, I suppose...

No comments:

Post a Comment