Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Does anyone know of how to thicken plain yogurt so that I can substitute for sour cream?

I heard of someone use yogurt to substitute for sour cream. I guess, somehow I just dry it, but I am not sure how I am going to do with it. It is pretty runny if I did not do anything. Help!Does anyone know of how to thicken plain yogurt so that I can substitute for sour cream?
You can strain plain yogurt so much of the water comes out, resulting in a thicker product. Put cheese cloth or a coffee filter in a fine sieve and let the yogurt sit for several hours to a day, with a bowl underneath to catch the water. (refrigerate it)





Nonfat or very lowfat yogurt will not work. that's because it contains thickeners and emulsifiers. The water won't separate. Only full fat yogurt works for this.





Addendum: rereading your question, a few hours of draining will be long enough to get to sour cream consistency. You can make a spreadable ';yogurt cheese'; by letting in strain for longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment